About Inclusive Scheduling
Inclusive scheduling is a team process to develop a school-wide master schedule that includes support for students in inclusive classrooms and other general education settings. Inclusive scheduling involves the scheduling team’s development of a master schedule driven by the following:
- Increased time in the least restrictive environment (LRE) for SWD,
- Level and intensity of support for students to be successful in the LRE,
- Consideration of instructional supports for students without disabilities,
- In-class exceptional student education (ESE) service delivery models,
- Expectations that all students will make adequate yearly progress, based on the general education standards and curriculum, and
- Ongoing, collaborative planning time among education professionals.
Inclusive scheduling is a decision-making process that:
- Involves appropriate team members;
- Is student-centered;
- Reflects the practice of educating students with and without disabilities together, regardless of their abilities or readiness;
- Aligns student needs with existing school-wide staff;
- Regards all ESE certified faculty and staff as capable of providing in-class support;
- Requires ongoing collaboration between special and general educators;
- Benefits all students;
- Establishes time for collaborative planning and
- Requires ongoing administrative support and resources.
Inclusive Scheduling Resources
Our students are happier and more confident, our teachers are learning new strategies from our time in their classrooms, and we have overwhelmingly positive feedback from parents who are seeing their students grow socially and academically.
Thank you for all of the support given in our transition to a push-in, inclusion-centered model of ESE service provision. We are so thankful for the guidance, and follow-up calls. While it was a huge undertaking and transition, we are seeing the benefits every day.